View Single Post
Old 11.16.2012, 11:05 AM   #3026
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Finished Captains Courageous the other day. Far too brief a novel really to get to know the characters. And any character development is very rushed. Harvey turns over his new leaf before like page thirty. The prose feels a bit dated, but doesn't really detract from the enjoyment, just makes reading it kind of odd. But yeah, nice fun little book.

After that I started Gardens of the Moon.

It's supposed to be really densely plotted and impossible to tell what's going on. I don't necessarily agree, more like alot is really shrouded in mystery, and it's definitely up to the reader to fill in some blanks. Terms and rituals aren't really explained just executed. Which is a really nice change of pace for me. Always irked me when in fantasy novels the plot would have to skid to a halt so this magical thing could be explained or this creature or whatever. Thankfully that happens very minimally here and always to good reason. but nothing too difficult. It's incredibly ripe with high fantasy concepts, all to pretty interesting effect. Divination, undead armies, soul transference, dimensional travel, units in armies are solely composed of wizards dedicated to mage warfare. And the gods are very hands on in this story apparently haha. At least three already are pulling strings of events. Anyway, pretty good, lots of fun.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|