View Single Post
Old 12.10.2010, 02:35 AM   #26
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Jazz was HIM Haile Selassie final gift to Ethiopia. When Addis Ababa was in curfews and practically martial law in the end of the 60s and beginning of the 70s, dance halls, bars and jazz dives were always cracking all night, and the Imperial police turned a blind eye. The Emperor himself personally imported talented Jazz musicians and orchestras to teach this music to Ethiopian players, ironic that for example indigenous Africans in Ethiopia learned a distinctively African-American music directly from Polish jazz greats!though Mulatu is perfect enough alone and still ripping up stages shows to this day, don't forget other greats of that era Ayalew Mesfin, Bahta Gebre-Heywet, Girma Beyene, and the master himself Alemeyahu Ashate

with the dead, through away your LPs and troll around Archive.org or raid the DeadPod because the pure Zen magic of the grateful dead is not in their albums, no it is in their stageshow. Dead music is like the Spirit, only he who as ears to hear, and as we in Rastafari say, who feels it knows it..

Yes, that 60-70 period was a great time in Ethiopian music (like it has been all over the world)! In my opinion since the iron curtain it never became back. Nowdays Ethiopian music is very superficial and sounds so plastic. Only Mulatu and Gigi have made good records nowdays (I know there exists other serious artist, but what Iīve heard from them, I havenīt liked it). I have Mulatus Inspiration Information and steps ahead -albums and they are just great!!! And Alemeyhu, heīs also great, he is a true Ethiopian Elvis or James Brown!!! I know also Girma and Bahta. I suppose you also know the great Ethiopian sax-player Getatchew Mekuira. Almost all that material Iīve heard from the great Ethiopiques-compilations.

I forgot to mention that I have Grateful Dead Live/Dead on cassette and in my opinion itīs one of the greatest live-record! Many live records are not that good. The other that are as good as live/dead are: Allman Brothers band: at fillmore east, Canned Heat: Live In Europe, Jimi Hendrix: Hendrix in the west, Wigwam: Live Music from the twlilight zone, King Crimson: Usa, Nick Cave and Bad Seeds: Live Seeds, Tom Waits: Big time and the latest Glitter and Doom and of course Sonic Dead. Now I just donīt remember any other good live-recordings.

Do you mean the band called Spirit? I just listened their great album "Twelve dreams of dr. Sardonicus" and itīs just great!!! Iīve read something about Spirit already eighties, but it was then very difficult to get their records here. And I suppose you also liked Bob Marley a lot, I am also a quite a big fan, although Iīm not rasta.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|