View Single Post
Old 12.09.2010, 09:03 PM   #25
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo

I think there is lots of same in our music taste (well Hip Hop canīt catch me). I was very excited about your Ethiopian music interest, because there has been very rare people who even know anything about it. In fact I like a lot Ethiopian sixties and seventies music, artists like Mulatu Astatke, Mahmoud Ahmed and Muleken Mellesse. I am also a big blues (read John Lee Hooker, Howlin wolf, Muddy Waters) and soul fan. I have also 3 first Grateful Dead LP:s (and one from the eighties) that Iīve listened a lot.

Jazz was HIM Haile Selassie final gift to Ethiopia. When Addis Ababa was in curfews and practically martial law in the end of the 60s and beginning of the 70s, dance halls, bars and jazz dives were always cracking all night, and the Imperial police turned a blind eye. The Emperor himself personally imported talented Jazz musicians and orchestras to teach this music to Ethiopian players, ironic that for example indigenous Africans in Ethiopia learned a distinctively African-American music directly from Polish jazz greats!though Mulatu is perfect enough alone and still ripping up stages shows to this day, don't forget other greats of that era Ayalew Mesfin, Bahta Gebre-Heywet, Girma Beyene, and the master himself Alemeyahu Ashate

with the dead, through away your LPs and troll around Archive.org or raid the DeadPod because the pure Zen magic of the grateful dead is not in their albums, no it is in their stageshow. Dead music is like the Spirit, only he who as ears to hear, and as we in Rastafari say, who feels it knows it..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|