View Single Post
Old 04.03.2006, 10:37 PM   #6
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by qprogeny79
the idiot made no sense at all to me until i read the summary after finishing it. but maybe that's just because he inserted all this tangential nonsense into it to make more money.

but i liked it after i understood it.

Ha.

What is funny is that my Mom just finished it, and she got completely different things out of it than me. I think I might have read a different translation. Reading the book I sort of thought Nastassya Filipovna was sort of a flirt and very fickle, but my Mom translated it that Nastassya was a very promiscuous woman. Maybe he implied that and my mind was too clean to think so, but I knew that Grushenka in Brothers Karamazov was a seductress.

The Idiot is a slow read, but the ending is well worth it.

Crime and Punishment is great. One of the few books that I was assigned to read that I liked. In class we focused on anti-semitism in the book, which I thought was sort of lame because that is only a minor issue in the book.

He is probably the best character writer. He doesn't view either liberals or conservatives with contempt, and he seems to show the positives and negatives of each. As a christian, he doesn't make liberals look like assholes, he draws Miusov for example very favorably. He also shows the ridiculousness of the church in Father Ferapont.

The Brothers Karamazov is so far my favorite, from the books I've read, am reading, and excerpts I have read. It really impresses me that there were so many well developed characters in that novel that all were unique and interesting.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|