View Single Post
Old 08.27.2013, 09:56 PM   #45651
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I suppose I can see why someone might get that idea. He is a meat heat and he loves Rush and he's a figure who gained popularity in the post-Nirvana '90s, so there's a compulsion to think of him as part of that group of totally goddamn boring gutless faux metal shock groups (see Tool, RATM, Rob Zombie), but you not liking his music doesn't make him talentless. He's an Oscar winning score composer. He has absolutely refused to even acknowledge trends in popular music, and has only ever done his own thing on his own terms. He can write 12:00 industrial metal anthems, moody, complex piano-based instrumental pieces, and pop songs that pull from Depeche Mode, the Cure, Ministry, and Pinl Floyd in equal measure. He loves his fans and hates record companies, and he has probably done more, at the mainstream level, for electronic music than anyone else from is era.

So call his music crappy all you want, but be fair. The guy is objectively talented.

That's not why I listen. I listen because it takes me back to high school... To the downward spiral, and simpler times. When a handjob made a weekend a success, and failure was... No handjob. Sucky, but a pretty mild low compared to how life gets later on.

Anyway, I like it. It's fun. And good. It's even great at moments.

(a) If you ever throw tool into that mix of faux metal artists again I will jump on a plane and kick your ass, period.

(b) I agree with you completely, Trent Reznor is completely misunderstood, the guy is talented, I think his problem is he never focused it. Like, he has had a handful of epically great songs, but I feel never a complete album. He has made a few fucking frightening video game scores, but not everything in that medium he's done is good. He's contributed to inspiring cinema score, but only showed glimpses of brilliance. He's been the producer on albums for other bands that were all-time great records, but only sometimes. Its like, Trent, sit down and focus on one thing, and thrive at it, because there is clearly a lot of potential.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|