View Single Post
Old 03.30.2014, 05:50 PM   #6461
an evening with viewtiful
bad moon rising

an evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's assesan evening with viewtiful kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Talk to me about this one. I've been eyeballing it, but I never seem to just grab it and buy it. Nothing has made it stand out to me, and I really hate boring, generic rap.

It's getting a lot of buzz though. There's a dope little Weezy verse on one track. That much I know. But is this an album for the good kid mAAd city/Yeezus era, or is it another tired Dj Mustard banger record?

If this were two years ago, and neither of those albums had come out, this album would be totally uninteresting and probably not really worth listening to.
But with a new bar set for major releases, YG set his aims a bit higher where say... Schoolboy really didn't. While the MC'ing isn't terribly innovative or even that interesting, the album manages to hold a concept very well throughout which makes it a compelling listen. The beats slap, but there's a sonic template that sort of allows the album to move between tracks pretty smoothly.
It's not a general hip-hop masterpiece by any means, but it's definitely gonna be YG's masterpiece. If you like west coast rap, you really can't go wrong with this, just don't expect any real innovation.

Think BAD Kidd MaaD City.
an evening with viewtiful is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|