View Single Post
Old 07.26.2015, 12:21 PM   #4064
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

took me a 2nd look but i just realized that's a lynda barry comic

she's great

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Currently blasting my way through this. And so far, so interesting. I was very much one of those people who believed that certain people were set to be talented in their chosen path. This has pretty much turned it on it's head.

I'll say one thing, it's helped me big time with my rock climbing and the way I go about it.

i haven't read that book and i don't know exactly what it argues, but i think in terms of talent + interest + practice as the holy triangle or whatever.

"talent" will give you an ability to do something better with less practice than others, but without interest you just won't practice.

if you have interest in something, you will practice and experience the rewards of achieving something. you don't need massive natural ability, but if you have zero talent, it's going to be very hard.

for example, my eye-hand coordination is pretty shit, so i could never get mario to go past one or two levels. yes i could practice a ton but it was mega-frustrating because of mercury in my nervous system or something, ha ah hah ha. so i gave up on that shit.

on the other hand, i'm pretty great at strategy games like the various civs, so, guess what, i can get deep into it and not come out until i'm shivering cold, take a hot shower, and get back into it. practice yields more rewards because of talent, so i practice more. the virtuous circle (if you consider video games "virtuous" ha ha ha).

i practice cooking every day because i like eating. every day is a reward and every day i become a little better. however, if i wanted to become a professional chef, i don't know that i have the talent that would permit me to make progress fast enough to survive such a high-stakes high-pressure situation. i'm better eater at eating than cooking.

so i have enough cooking talent that i enjoy it in my everyday, but i think not enough that i'd feel so great toiling 16 hours a day in a kitchen in search of glory.

turns out i'm better with words and concepts than with my fucking clumsy hands. while my analytical/verbal iq scores rank pretty high, my eye-hand coordination has been estimated as "not retarded" lololol. there go my knife skills.

so my interest in ideas has waxed and waned thoughout life, and with that so has my practice in fields that involve them, but that's where "what comes naturally" has been most productive most consistently for me. of course it's not the only thing i enjoy, but that's where the talent/practice/interest converge for me most intensely.

don't get high on rocks though! it's bad for you.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|