View Single Post
Old 05.21.2015, 11:47 AM   #38751
Antagon
invito al cielo

Antagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's assesAntagon kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
you're right of course-- i expect too much of human nature.

i was more irked by mary's pretension to become one of the cool kids and betray her outsider status-- to which she ultimately returns. of course most people will do just that when offered passage to a better deck, and sell out their former friends. humans are social climbers. mary was no hero, just a human. i liked her as a kid but not as a grownup-- and that's okay-- i don't like a lot of people ha ha.

i'm not saying at all that this was a bad movie-- it was great, and well made. but to bill it as "comedy" is deceitful (you didn't do that, the marketers did).

just because it's done with claymation it doesn't mean it can't be all about pain & suffering. this was somehow closer to an intimate form or neorrealism than to wallace & gromit. the trailers emphasized the sweet/quirky/funny parts and left out the atrocities.

Yeah, marketers are generally full of shit. The notion that if something is animated it must either be for kids or at least light-hearted is still going strong. Last year I watched Miyazaki's The Wind Rises in a viennese movie theatre. All the trailers that led into the film were for mass-produced kids-entertainment flicks. While I can't fault a mainstream movie theatre for getting the target-audience confused, it's still very telling.

Hand-drawn and CG-animation are seen as kids-entertainment and claymation/stop-motion as a medium for light-hearted slapstick. Then again, Seven Psychopaths was advertised as a Tarantino-esque Crime-Comedy. And Fight Club was initially presented as a movie that was just about bare-knuckles underground boxing. I suppose you have to lead viewers astray via advertising to appeal to a broader audience. Doesn't make their practice any less wrong though.

Oh and: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to !@#$%! again.

Antagon is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|