View Single Post
Old 12.22.2010, 02:43 AM   #30
hipster_bebop_junkie
100%

hipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asseshipster_bebop_junkie kicks all y'all's asses
Bump.

I recently snagged a copy of Lindsay Brice's book, "Supernatural". Kim Gordon contributed the foreword to it, and she mentioned Karen Carpenter in relation to "Tunic". Since it is sort of relevant to what was discussed here, i decided to bump this old thread. Below's an extract of the text pertaining to the subject at hand:

"Karen Carpenter, for me, epitomized the tragedy of what can happen when a child's dream of doll-like perfection is internalized and becomes real adult expectation. Her voice had such depth, such presence, and yet she seemed to hate her body so much that she wanted to disappear behind her brother, her drum kit, and into herself. In the Sonic Youth song, "Tunic", i tried to express a sense of how alone she must have felt, adrift from the unattainable feminine ideal of adulthood that she'd dreamed of as a girl. Todd Haynes' notorious 1987 underground film Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story used Barbie dolls to tell us about Karen. Ironically, it seemed much more realistic than the made-for-TV movie."

-Kim Gordon
Hollywood, California
September 1, 2005

I know it surely isn't anything new, but i'm posting it anyways. This thread came to mind when i was listening to the Carpenters today...