View Single Post
Old 10.22.2013, 04:07 PM   #34
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlegmscope
I would like to have a somewhat decent "zombie job", but can't seem to get one. A couple weeks ago had an interview at a printing company, but later found out that they didn't hire anyone (because apparently the job description changed along the way). And it probably wasn't even fully paid thing (more like a trainee thing i guess). Damned.

This recession thing has become the new normal.

With my educational backround (graphic design shmesign) entrepreneurship is an alternative, but a difficult one. I don't have a skillset wide enough and I'm certainly not connected to get jobs or delegate them.
I could do it as a side thing for beer money, but not full time without being totally fucked.

I should start to learn some web design coding bullshit, and 3d graphics, and whatever as I have all the time in the world right now.

yeah, freelancing as a graphic designer is hard because of a market glut-- at some point in the 90's everyone and their mother wanted to be one and move to new york. so it takes a lot to stand out and make it "big."

found this link here that mentions some of that:

http://www.graphicdesignforum.com/fo...our-definition

however i think it's not impossible to find a job of course but you gotta think outside the box and make compromises. in my small-town web-development days i often found people who needed a designer and didn't know about it/ didn't know where to find one/ were happy to hire one. graphic designers for small business owners in small cowtowns aren't usually characters in mtv movies but they can get paid.

anyway i'd say network like a motherfucker and keep your skills up to date and try to invent opportunities if you can't find any ready-made ones. and by "network like a motherfucker" i mean-- don't turn down beer-money jobs, they might lead to bigger jobs. (or not. but at least it gives you a chance where one didn't previously exist.)

okay.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|