View Single Post
Old 07.29.2015, 05:16 PM   #18869
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

the difference (i think) is that while sirk apparently made these things in earnest (i don't know, having not seen) fassbinder seems to use them for ironic & critical effect.

Sirk was definitely using it ironically. He wanted to show how fake and constructed hollywood was. He often put in outrageously ott happy endings for that very reason. And as you say with Fassbinder, very Brechtian. In terms of humour, I can see now why you might find him funny but he's never had that affect on me. I ultimately find his films quite cruel, which isn't a criticism of him/his films, more just a reflection of my narrow reading of him/them.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|