View Single Post
Old 05.18.2017, 08:32 PM   #21044
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
I know what you mean, but he isn't really that sort of director.

Coppola has Godfather I, II and Apocalypse, but who really cares about the other ones?

Soderbergh doesn't have a Godfather I, II or Apocalypse, but he does have a respectable list of perfectly fine films which I personally find satisfying, even if I agree none really blow my mind and alter the way I view the world of cinema.

I hadn't really thought about Soderbergh in awhile, but this conversation made me review his body of work and I'm more impressed than ever. Ocean's 13 sucked, but that's his only real dud. He's kind of like Woody Allen in that he seems more interested in pumping out a lot of films rather than laboring over some grand statement.

No one thinks TRAFFIC is a modern classic?

I was going to say, at least when it was released, I thought TRAFFIC was pretty fucking phenomenal. I've only seen it once, but I could really argue with Soderbergh fever after seeing that one. I think it might have been my favorite film of the year.

Where's Steven been lately? For a while he was the most sought after director in the Hollywood, before David Fincher and (my boi) Chris Nolan started getting juicy big-budget projects, and before Paul Thomas Anderson became everyone's favorite left-of-center dude. I'm honestly not aware of any films directed by him from the past 10 years, unless I'm just really skipping over something in my head.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|