View Single Post
Old 05.05.2015, 11:50 AM   #46542
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
Yep.

I've been giving a lot of classic rock a spin lately, and I'm really starting to resent how damn near everyone was doing some version of the blues at one point. Even Black Sabbath is basically blues slowed down and distorted. Nothing against the blues. Just gets tired after awhile.

---

Funnily enough I got a Zep compilation because I've never liked them as much as it seems I should. I've been trying, but I keep hitting the same snags:

-I don't like Plant's voice. Not saying it's "bad," just saying it's not to my taste. His lyrics are bad, however. His dick or some trippy bullshit--that's all he had to write about. And barely, since Willie Dixon successfully sued him for plagiarism.

-The drums are cool and huge but could you bring it down a notch, just once? For a measure at least? No? THUD THUD THUD THUD

-The occasional endless blues solo. Seriously, after Hendrix why the hell did anyone bother?

But I still want to ask: what's their absolute best album? It's not IV, is it?

When I was into Zeppelin, my favorite was Houses of the Holy. I never really got very big into II or IV, but I and III also pleased me.

And I listened to the BBC Sessions album a lot.

But this was long ago... I hear them now, and I hear music that is notoriously devoid of wit, color, cleverness, humor, vision, personality and character. I truly hear the same depressing absence of studio ingenuity in every one of their albums. I just don't get it. I'm also morally opposed to swingin' dick music that uses the lyrics "Hey baby" and "pretty baby" and "oooh mama" and "pretty mama" and "oooh baby hey baby hey baby ooh mama hey mama pretty mama ooh baby baby oooh baby baby."

Maybe they did totally define the 70s. Great. That means they defined the worst decade in rock and roll history. The 70s were the decade when things went so utterly to shit, drowning in decadence and cliche, that an entire faction of music splintered off to revolt against the absurdity of bands like Led Zeppelin. So yeah, maybe Zep did define the time in history when rock and roll became so crappy that punk had to save it by burning it to the ground, League of Shadows style, and building something better out of its ashes.

I can live with that. Zep defining the all time low point of rock. Sounds about right.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|