View Single Post
Old 06.19.2015, 10:42 AM   #1066
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I know you mentioned it, hence why im posting about it too.. it doesn't dive as deep as PWOWR but it continues similar themes and imagery while not sounding like its trying too hard to be some kind of continuation. The beats are different enough to be a progression into a different direction. This is not the let down that recent follow up records have been with so many rappers and its not one of those records that you skip past weak tracks cuz its all good aas a composition. While it doesn't piece together quite as seamlessly as PWOWR it still feels like a record, when so many new hip hop records sound like mixtape (eg tracks just thrown together with no sense of narrative or cohesion)..

I do know what you mean. The line between "mixtape" and album is blurring, especially as more and more retail mixtape a show up. I really don't like unofficial mixtapes, full of recycled beats and DJ shout-outs. God! So annoying!
But I think artists like Killah have been able to use the mixtape model and exchange/purchasing templates to make true albums on his own terms. Probably good since the guy's never going to be a mainstream success.

And yeah I like this new joint too. It does sound like a progression in many ways. I'm enjoying it a lot. I am also loving the new Czarface record from Inspectah Deck/7L & Esoteric. Good times for the underdogs of the Wu family.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|