View Single Post
Old 08.13.2009, 08:32 AM   #7614
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Gran Torino, to me, got the praise it did, not because it was really all that new or groundbreaking or great, but because it just flat-out doesn't feel like most of the Hollywood bullshit that gets put out nowadays. It felt like I was transported to the 70's or something, back when every new film coming out was somewhat unique, somewhat gritty, and almost always watchable. Look at all the films Eastwood has directed and many he has starred in. It's like he just doesn't give a fuck what others movies or directors are doing, he's in his own little world doing what he wants. That, to me, is why it's a good movie, because it's really NOT anything daring or original -- it certainly feels that way compared to everything else that's currently coming out.

What kills me is that movies are actually getting cheaper to make (you can buy a NICE ASS camera now for, oh, $5000!.. compared to, what, $50,000 before?!), in a sense.. it's easier to edit, it's easier to promote, there's a BILLION writers, actors, etc. out there. It'd be so much easier to really come out with these brilliant new films. Instead, as I said elsewhere, it's a rehash, a remake, or just a piece of shit, everywhere you look except far in the underground/nobudget/experimental field (where no one IS willing to look).

The only director out there who I think is making really good big-budget films (Takeshi Kitano doesn't count since his films are still pretty cheap... and these films may not seem "big budget" to us Americans, but you gotta keep in mind that this guy has created 2 of the biggest films of all time, where he's from) is Park Chan-Wook. He uses his budget to create brilliant sets, and he is truly unique and individual. I'm not even that into Oldboy, but Mr. Vengeance, Lady Vengeance, and Cyborg are all just fucking perfect films. Can't wait for Thirst.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|