View Single Post
Old 09.04.2017, 06:37 AM   #167
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah, apparently no Blunt and no Copeland. But the whole goddamn affair is shrouded in so much deliberately confusing misdirection and mystery at this point that, honestly, who the fuck knows? Just how deep does the meta-joke go here? I don't fucking know. But I did listen to it, and I do like it... if not as much as, say, Babyfather... definitely not as much as Black Metal or the previous HW stuff. Some of that 2009-11 material really struck a chord with me, and I'd love to hear the logical conclusion and know it's what I was looking forward to.

There's good stuff on this release though. "Baby Blu" and "The Whole Lay" and "Spinderella's Dream" are the songs I identified right away as favorites, but there's a lot to like about the looser sketches and less fleshed out tracks too.

I wish there was more clarity here. I just have no idea what to believe about who made it. Help me, one of you, if you think you have more solid answers.
Tbf I think it's the point, and it's been one of the goals of the Hype Williams' project from the beginning. From the beginning they've been spreading contradictory and confusing information regarding the number of artists in the act and their biography, or leading their followers in wrong directions through the Rinse FM show they did a while ago for instance. I've always perceived that as a will to create confusion out of information overload, eventually ending in a situation where you have no clear idea what you are listening anymore. That is a very clever move in a world where we are actually saturated with information, which can distract you from listening to the actual music content. Here, the effect they reach is the opposite – they have managed to shortcut the effects of Internet with a record where you have absolutely no information on who did the record or if it is linked at all with the previous records linked to this name. Which means you can only listen to it for itself, and appreciate it in its own context, trying to make sense of the music itself without trying to find answers in the artist discography or biography or whatever.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|