View Single Post
Old 07.04.2017, 04:23 PM   #1329
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
@tunic/ilducio - i trained boxing for a bit in my teens and then a decade later and it's BRUTAL. i should do it again. stuff like jumping rope or (my favorite) hitting the heavy bag really give you a workout like no other. and the fighting takes tons of skill. but anyway, pretty as the sport is when good technique is applied (i appreciated boxers as opposite to each other as sugar ray leonard and mike tyson), ultimate fighting is closer to real-life situations when there are no rules limiting what parts one can use/attack. so in that sense watching boxing is like watching tennis these days, whereas mma is more life-and-death/gladiatorial.

I've heard this case made for mma before, but it still doesn't really sell me. I think I like boxing specifically for the technique and skill involved in it. It's actually kind of a slow-burn sport, and like baseball it's long-form strategy "game" so that appeals to me. Not that I watch a lot of boxing, but I do like the sport.

I used to live in an apartment complex with some dudes who were SUPER into mma or ultimate fighting or whatever, and I had a couple just total binge-sessions watching it with them over beers (#guystuff #makesmenervous), but as much as I could admit that it was entertaining, I just couldn't really get into it to the point where I saw it as a "real" sport for whatever reason. Obviously it is a real sport, but it just doesn't feel that way to me when I'm watching. I like the rules of boxing, the restrictions that force fighters to make something happen without just going... what's the word... "beast mode?"

Anyway, I'm sure it's fine. Just not for me.

I'm impressed that you boxed though.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|