View Single Post
Old 06.23.2011, 01:46 PM   #1
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Dunno if there's a thread like this already. But I was cruising youtube yesterday watching a bunch of Don Caballero videos and everyone I'm thinking 'man, this guy is tearing it up!'.

And it was in a real fresh way, not in some Neil Pert getting flashy on the fills kind of thing. Che takes everything that could be annoying about the drums and makes them really exciting, high cymbal usage, integrating the toms in a large way. He uses the whole kit to the extreme, almost always his parts would satisfy for some kind of fill or breakdown in tons of other songs. But in Don Cab, they're the main parts! He's absolutely the headliner in that band.

I was just wondering what others out there had that same hierarchy. Obvious examples would be Deerhoof and Lightning Bolt. Saunier and Chippendale are ridiculous. I think Boredoms is another qualifier, especially on the later records like Vision Creation Newsun. That's one of my favorite percussive records of all time.

Those are the immediate examples I can think of. I'm sure (and hope) there are plenty more. These are some of the most onfire bands to me, when the drums are so explosive like this.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|