Thread: Girls Rock! DC
View Single Post
Old 08.17.2009, 06:32 AM   #39
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Girls Rock certainly does not "teach" rock music and to think that it completely ignorant. Girls in the camp form bands and write their own songs. They are encouraged to play whatever style they want to, however they want to. The band couches are just there to direct them.

Once again, what is so wrong with giving girls a week where they can create in a facilitated manner? Once again, many of these girls otherwise would not have access to music lessons, equipment, some of the workshops. If you think that it's wrong to give these girls a chance to create and have fun, well then...

About girls in bands - of course there have always been girls who play music. But how many woman that most young girls know about actually play integral roles in bands? How many women aren't presented as being sex objects. Even in the world of "indie rock," I would argue that 90% of females are presented as objects of female desire. Even in 2009. It's extremely difficult for a not-drop dead-gorgeous woman to actually make it. And dont' even begin to give me shit about dudes needing to be handsome because that's just wrong (and even if it's helpful, men rarely hold that same position in a band)

Safe spaces for women, especially at younger ages, is extremely important. Girls Rock addresses girls at a time of their life that they are the most self-conscious. Of course boys also have it tuff but I will still argue that there is little less torturous than being a girl going through puberty. This is providing girls with a positive way to channel everything. The camp isn't separatist BS. Come on dudes, these are children. Guys also deserve to have their safe spaces. Seriously. There are tons of problems embedded into masculinity - and I have lots of male friends who have really suffered the consequences of not being masculine enough. Feminism is about wanting equality for both sexes.

I personally think it's incredibly messed up that one would be against Girls Rock because the rock doesn't "sound good" or isn't spontaneous enough. Nobody sounds good in the beginning. The week isn't about preparing for the show - the show is something that is done more for the parents, the media, and for fun. Girls Rock is process rather than product based. It's about getting girls out there to have fun, make friends, and learn some basics. In the end, it gives a lot of girls the push to actually feel confident enough to go out there and take the initiative to really jam out of their own.

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|