View Single Post
Old 04.03.2014, 11:17 AM   #26
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Man, it's insane. I don't know what to make of it. On one hand it's "classic" Swans - heavy drones that sound like the nicotine fit of an ancient God, interspersed with self-calming, hymnal meditations... all to the jagged snapping bass and thunderous thud of the band in top "vamp" form.

It's not revelatory in the same way the Seer was. But it's definitely an experience. Gira is in a cathartic, chaotic trance for much of the record, and there is a lot of strange lyrical imagery that almost sounds random.... Like a Titan with Tourette's. Gone are the folk and country influences that made the Seer such an epic, but the noise (my god, the noise) and the muscular drone have returned.

More sparsely produced; sounds kind of live.

Brings to mind images of: the sun, sun gods, Egypt, Pyramids, Night sky, dreams, black holes, faeries, fucking, Hinduism, heat, pedophilia

On my second listen now. Maybe more will reveal itself to me this time.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|