View Single Post
Old 08.09.2017, 12:22 PM   #1496
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I just finished re-watching DW series 1 (Eccleston)

I was hard on it when it came out but in retrospect it's not that bad. Still can't stand Mickey or Rose's mum, and the Slitheen will always be shit, but ... Eccleston. OK he misjudged the comedy but really comes into his own in the more dramatic stuff.

Something I still don't like - and which is true of nu-Who generally - is it seems far more preooccupied with making some often pretty cliched social comment - like the idea that mankind is being manipulated through mass media. Not to say there wasn't social comment in the classic era but it was always, first and foremost a sf series. There's something a bit too preachy about the new incarnation. And did we really need all the nudge-nudge-wink-wink suggestions that the Doctor is bisexual? And fuck off with trying to make the Daleks appear 'misunderstood'. And what's with three stories given to the Slitheen (who will always be shit.) but no room for a single episode with the Master? That's just wrong!

Fave stories from Series 1:

Bad Wolf/Parting of the Ways.
The Empty Child/Doctor Dances
Unquiet Dead

Anyway, all this DW chat has inspired me to go back through the reboot series so I'm on series 2 now, with Tennant.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|