View Single Post
Old 10.02.2017, 01:02 AM   #21565
HenryHill51
little trouble girl

HenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
just watched for the first time ever THE TRUMAN SHOW

i purposefully avoided it during its heyday somewhere in the late 90s

i see as its ancestors both "the prisoner" (the 60s tv show) and "pleasantville" and obvious reality shows like that mtv one i can't recall the name.

but i think that, more interestingly, it probably begat "the matrix" -- not in its ideas which are as old as the human ape ("what's real?" "is there another world?") but in probably making it possible for hollywood executives to greenlight such a story. or... i don't know. only 1 year apart? but it feels to me like 2 different eras.

i didn't know that truman show had been directed by peter weir. if i had, i probably would have watched it earlier. o well! looks like i missed out ha ha. tuff titties. caught up eventually. also the writer of this directed gattaca? hmmm...

LOVE "The Truman Show". Funny thing. Visited my best friend in L.A. about fifteen years ago for the first time and he was forced to take me on all the touristy shit, so of course we did the Universal Studios tour. At one point, we come around a bend and there's this huge sound stage and the guide says "......used most recently in films like The Truman Show and its ocean finale...." After the Jaws thing that comes out of the water, the "Back to the Future" car ten feet away and other things, I was most jazzed all day about that stupid Truman Show soundstage. Don't know why.

Also, I sort of agree that "Gattaca" is one of the most underrated sci-fi films of all time. Not only does it feature one of the best scores ever (by the great Michael Nyman), but its an emotional wallop of a film whose earth-bound ideas are just as resonant as its outer space themes. At the time of this and "The Truman Show", I was ready to proclaim Andrew Niccol as THE NEXT BIG AUTEUR. He just lost it. Films like "Lord of War", "In Time", "Simone" and "Good Kill".... they're all so ham-fisted and lacking. But, "Gattaca", best film of '97 which is saying alot for that packed year.
HenryHill51 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|