View Single Post
Old 07.28.2009, 09:26 AM   #7455
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark

Argento is definitely a very frustrating director. It seems like he doesn't even know his own strengths and weaknesses, and his films are often overlong and indulgent. I've noticed that many films have logical endings -- but then he often will tack on more after the ending to make a "real" ending (see: Opera, Creepers/Phenonemon/Stendhal for examples). He definitely stretches out his worst scenes for too long, and he just kinda skirts around the truly brilliant scenes. Still, when he's on, he's on, and he actually kinda surprises me sometimes. For example, "Trauma", in particular, surprised me with its violence. He's an interesting director, though I think he's an awful storyteller.

Hell yes.
I think his "problem" is that he doesn't think too much about the audience. Not that he does not aim to "please" his fans or anything like that, but I think he focuses more on the pleasures/difficulties of directing rather than on the pleasure/difficulties those who will watch the finished movie will experience.

Still some reeeeeally nice movies, some others with reeeeeally nice scenes/colours/shots, his latest output suffers a bit from the different techniques imo..I mean, more modern film/lighting (at least i think so) etc kinda detracts some of the appeal older movies had, while being basically pretty similar on a pure filological pov.

I'm glad a bunch of italian "horror" directors are still appreciated for nice things other than the more "splatter" scenes.

does this make sense?
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|