View Single Post
Old 10.11.2006, 01:59 AM   #24
youthoftomorrow
expwy. to yr skull

youthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's asses
i've noticed two connections between Sonic Youth and F. Scott Fitzgerald's novel, The Great Gatsby.

first, one of the most prominent images in the book is the green light, symbolizing the attainment of the American Dream (as well as one's personal goals). the lyrics to SY's song "Green Light" are:

I KNEEL BEFORE THE GREEN LIGHT OF HER
SINGING CRAYON EYES
AND THEN I KISS HER STOMACH AND IT’S THEN I REALIZE:
HER LIGHT IS THE NIGHT - I’M NOT BLIND -

I BELIEVE IN YOU
I SEE A GREEN LIGHT

the link is obvious to me. the female that Thurston is referring to is undoubtedly Daisy Buchanan. Gatsby devotes his entire life to fulfilling his goal of marrying Daisy and sees the green light at the end of her dock as a beacon of the future.

the second connection i've made between The Great Gatsby and a Sonic Youth song is a quote from the book, made by the character Tom Buchanan, that ends with "I love her all the time." that, too, is the name of a Sonic Youth song (also sung by Thurston):

SHE COMES INTO MY MIND
TWISTING THRU MY NERVES
I DON'T UNDERSTAND
A WORD SHE SAYS
SHE'S ON MY SIDE
I LOVE HER ALL THE TIME