View Single Post
Old 06.01.2016, 09:13 AM   #2119
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
dude not to be so picky but I think it's really archaic and frankly pretty reductive of electronic music that you'd lump someone like flume in with autechre. that's like going "hey, guns n roses and amm are in the same sphere because they're using fucking drums and guitars". it's a real rockist attitude to not want to pick up (and it is a matter of not wanting to or just laziness I don't know) on the disparities between electronic music when the chasms between all these different styles along so many different dimensions are perhaps even greater than those in 'rawk'.

I get what you're saying. Flume and Autechre aren't anything alike.

But I didn't so much mean to lump them together as to point out that Flume is an example of good mainstream EDM, and that the new album is one of the reasons why I still listen to pop electronic music because it's actually really fucking good. The point I was trying to make was that without albums like Skin (and Lantern, and to a lesser extent 99%, because it's less EDM and more beat/hip-hop) I would give up on popist stuff, and only listen to stuff like Autechre.

But yeah, it's clear that the artists have about as much in common as Beck and Sonic Youth. Less, really. But I do like pretty much all varieties of electronic music, and I don't pay a hell of a lot of attention to the sub-and sub-sub-genres when talking casually, because it's just much easier to say "electronic music."

I know Flume isn't cool or whatever, but the album's good, makes my ears happy. I get where you're coming from though.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|