View Single Post
Old 12.18.2016, 10:30 AM   #20257
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDistortion
I haven't seen Suicide Squad so I can't critique it, nor can I defend it. Maybe it comes down to a lot of wasted potential. That's the impression I got. Maybe they should have made a Joker/Harley Quinn movie, and not a Suicide Squad movie. Or if not Joker/HQ, a Harley Quinn/Poison Ivy team up movie. Instead you have 11 characters all vying for screen time. I'm sure the reshoots didn't help. I get the impression it was a movie without a goal. If the movie cared about Harley Quinn make it a Harley Quinn film and cut out all the other characters. They could have had Harley join the Suicide Squad at the end of her own movie. DC films seem like they have no direction or plan, they are just throwing movies at the wall hoping one catches an audience. Where Marvel has a five-year plan. They are a well oiled machine at this point, that comes with its own downsides, but at least they stick to their plan, even if one or two of their movies doesn't succeed they give you enough to want to see what they do next.

See, I actually see it quite differently. I don't hate Harley Quinn, but I don't care much about the character. She's fun in comics as a kind of Robin to the Joker's Batman, but I don't get the massive fan base for a character that started as an extra body in a freaking cartoon. I think she was fine in the movie, more or less, but an entire movie about her seems like a wretched idea. Ditto for the Harley and Ivy movie idea (that's what Sirens of Gotham is supposed to be, I guess, only there will probably be a ridiculous Catwoman too.

I think the team should have been smaller, and maybe more in line with the original Suicide Squad. One of the things Marvel does really, really well is they take B-list characters (they have so many, after all) and they commit to them and make people give a shit about them. Guardians of the Galaxy was B-list at best until the '08 reboot, and Ant-Man? Give me a break. Even Thor and Iron Man are really pretty low hanging fruit compared to the likes of Spider-Man, Captain America and Wolverine. I think a Suicide Squad movie that rests on the laurels of Harley Quinn and the Joker is doomed to fail. Deadshot on the other hand? Best part of the movie, easy. Totally B-list, but it made me care about him. The original line up was just Rick Flagg and a bunch of military bros. I think that, with Deadshot and maybe Boomerang and a few others added for name recognition, would have been cool. And it could have even had fucking Harley Quinn for fuck's sake, as long as the Joker was kept out of it. Some characters just demand the spotlight, and the Joker as anything other than the primary antagonist just doesn't work.

What I find odd is that they're working backwards with half the characters. Batman being introduced as "old Batman"? As post Jason Todd Batman (which necessitates a post-Dickens Grayson Batman)? Batman with a man establish history with the Joker and presumably all of the other major rogues? Why?! Also, late in the game Joker and stuff, while Superman himself is still only a couple of years post-reveal (even though he's "dead"). That's asking a lot of audiences. "Hey, jump into our universe and pretend with us that it's been going on without your knowledge for god knows how long."

I know people get sick of origin stories, but this kind of narrative is absolutely not the answer.

I think they should be leaving any and all things Bat-related ALONE for a fucking while. Jesus. They should focus on a Star Wars-level Superman trilogy, a great Flash movie, maybe a Justice Society of America period piece, and Wonder Woman. And they should stop trying to knit stuff together. Fuck's sake. It does feel forced as hell.

But the movie was certainly not as bad as people made it out to be.

Also, Poison Ivy should never ever ever be in a movie ever again. Neither should Harley Quinn, unless it's a Batman movie where she plays a secondary villain. Putting the two in a move together as the main characters sounds fucking awful.

Quote:
I really dread the upcoming Ghost in the Shell and Akira adaptations that are coming.

Ah what? They're doing an Akira adaptation? Fucking hell! What the shit!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|