View Single Post
Old 01.26.2011, 05:38 PM   #13909
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
..........other favorites of mine:
- Keep Your Right Up (this film is FUNNY! It seems like Godard was trying to make a comedy here -- a pilot reading a book called "how to commit suicide" for example -- albeit one that is HIGHLY elliptical, idiosynchratic, and bizarre as hell. So much of this film is ridiculous. I love it. Interestingly, Godard actually promoted the hell out of this film, and said he was really proud of it. It's easy to see why.)

- Alphaville (AMAZING, dark nighttime photography; also, Godard lets his sense of humor shine through here, with some of the "action" scenes and when a character turns his cigarette lighter on by shooting at it. Brilliant little film, though I have to be in the right mood for it, since it's so different than Godard's other films -- this is another one of those films that many people will watch and then never bother with Godard again, thus missing out on lots of important films. However, it's an excellent film... definitely stands out as an oddity amongst Godard's films, as there is a very clear storyline and the film remains extremely striaghtforward throughout)

- In the Mood for Love (his "third 1st movie", this is considered by quite a few peopel to be his crowning achievement, and it's easy to see why. It's beautiful, both in the opening half, with the amazing black and white photography.. and the 2nd half, with the oversaturated digital colors. I absolutely love this film, though some might be put off by its incredibly slow pace. The framing, editing, and music are topnotch.)

- Numero Deux (one of his "essay films", and one of his most disturbing films, period. This one is a bit mean spirited and ugly -- the film was originally called "breathless 2" and part of THIS film seems to be about how "Breathless" is a joke, kinda making fun of Godard's early works, while establishing his grumpy, dark later works.. indeed, many of the themes Godard is still focusing on to this day were originated in this film. There are super long takes of Godard talking in this film, which are extremely fascinating. I'd highly reccomend tracking down this VHS; it's worth it, and if ever a film needed to be seen on a VHS, it's this one [you'll see why when you see the movie])

- First Name: Carmen (filmed around the same time as Passion, this film is stunningly beautiful and focuses on many of the same themes as Passion. Excellent movie.)

- A Married Woman (one of Godard's most straightforward, this is a very simple tale of... a married woman. Lighter and simpler than most of his works, it's still a very compelling tale; the simplicity is deceptive, there's a lot bubbling underneath the surface. Often considered a "minor work", but still genuinely well liked, this is a really good place to start with Godard, in my opinion. It kinda eases you into some of his stylistic techniques, though it invents a few things Godard never experimented with much again [whole scenes filmed in "negative", though seen briefly in Alphaville; a focus on ads for clothing, though this is touched upon a wee bit in 2 or 3 Things...)

- FILM: SOCIALSIEM (his latest tfilm appears to have been shot with all kinds of different digital cameras and webcameras. In a way, it feels kinda like some youtube videos -- it even has LOLCATS! But if you've seen many youtube videos that were made by young youtube "directors"... or if you're familiar with the CURRENT channel, which uses a lot of viewer submitted videos... this movie feels like a response to that, and part of that movement. VEry interested. Godard always loves working with new technology, and he uses the digital camera in a way that a lot of experimental directors use it -- but not used often by establishe directors. He exploits flaws and glitches in the film, for example.. the first 40 minutes is sorta like that,a youtube-ish documentary about people on a vacation, on a boat. Then the film kinda focuses on some characterrs who talk a lot but don't interact, in beatufiul scenes very reminescent of every Godard film amde in the last 30 years. The final 15 minutes is an essay on EVERYTHING. This is a staggering, densely-layered film that is going to require many many watches to appreciate all the nuances. But just from the one watch I've had, I love it)

- Joy of Learning/Le Gai Savor (often forgotten/overlooked, this is one long essay about language, filmed in front of a black background on a stage, with two actors.. there, of course, is a LOT to take in. But it's worth it)

- Tout Va Bien (this should have in my top 10, as it's one of my favorite Godard films as well, though also overlooked. My fingers hurt, so please see this film.)

A few things about Godard: he rarely repeats himself, he is constantly moving forward, he likes to take ideas to their extreme, his films BEG for re-watches (and you will likely like any given film after 3 or 4 watches of it), and he made about 40 short films, many of which I'd rank far above his "main films", honestly. So check those out too.

I hope that was helpful.

I watched these in the past few days:

my blueberry nights - 6/10

WONG KAR WAI is easily in the top 10 best directors in the world. THis film is his worst.

SPLENDOR - 5/10

Araki is god. This is not one of his better films.

LIVING END - 9/10

...but this is! This film was made for like $3,000! True independence, and the new DVD is BEAUTIFUL. I'd reccomend BUYING it. Amazing fucking movie. There's really nothing in life better than real, hardcore indie cinema.

DEMONRAIL:

Have you seen his half of TWO EVIL EYES? How about DIARY? Yep, he sucks. He's lost it. He used to be pretty okay. I mean, DAWN OF THE DEAD is easily in my top 10 horror films ever. But no I don't like him. As for Dead end Street, the atmosphere and soundtrack alone is reason enough for me to reccomend it. No, it's not as awesome as MONSTER HIGH, MANIAC, NIGHT TRAIN TO TERROR, KAMILLIONS, and countless other horror movies, but I think it's definitely one of the few films I'd call TRUE horror, up there with some Fulci and shit. And it's not unwatchable like August Underground or something.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|