View Single Post
Old 06.23.2017, 10:41 AM   #32
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
I don't care if people are dorky, I'm just saying.

i attempted to explain band tshirt dorkiness on the basis of earnestness vs. irony in the zeitgeist.

but i don't get why a bow tie to a job interview might be dorky. it would depend on the job interview i think.

a lot of academics, scientists, some artists and fashion people, politicians, lawyers, etc., are known for wearing bow ties. i think it depends on personal style. if it's your personal style, interview with it. if it's not, don't go faking.

the items of clothing you describe aren't inherently dorky. the dorkiness is dependent on context.

and dorky is not inherently negative. it's just eccentric/diverse.

your statement implies that the context is fixed and dorky is negative though. which makes it appear conservative (context can't be changed). and also conformist in that dorky deviation is assumed as negative

Quote:
And I'm not sure about this either/or scenario of dorks and conformists.

seems to be adding up via the inductive method: the dorks don't give a shit and do their thing. those concerned about dorkiness might be... too concerned. with enough samples you can state a hypothesis.

but there's always been a war, hasn't it? eccentrics vs. conformists. usually with conformists as the persecutor. it's not such a new concept. dorks are just a subset of the eccentric.

Quote:
And I'm even less sure about middle aged men in 2017 saying about whether or not such and such a thing is punk.

as an ethos, punk can inform the lives of many middle aged and (older and younger) people of all genders. they live that way, start companies that way, do all kinds of things that way-- from making music to farming to cooking in restaurants to investing. it doesn't necessarily require one to wear a mohawk and face piercings with diaper pins like it's 1977.

besides, cultural movements tend to find themselves mutated/reincarnated over time.

e.g. there's always gonna be punks and there's always gonna be deadheads and mods and even fucking skinheads and the majority will be conformists following the trendy-- it goes on forever
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|