View Single Post
Old 04.24.2010, 12:52 PM   #37
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
I agree with you on the part that people make music because they want to - except in certain cases, obviously.
However, who cares about credibility? It's all about music. If I happen to like some corporate pop artist, should I refrain myself from listening to them just because they are making music for money?

I tend to agree with the above, except to say that I'm not even sure what making music for money really means. It's relatively easy to point to someone like Status Quo or the Stones and say they're just going through the motions for the money, but I wouldn't presume to know their minds. Someone like Nickelback - who are awful, obviously - probably 'seriously believe' in their artistry. I've seen very, very low-level bands making incredibly hackneyed, ten-a-penny music who seriously think they're entirely groundbreaking - musicians are a deluded bunch, and the more popular ones even moreso, I'd suggest.

For myself, I far prefer BEP after their 'credible' period. It's not the greatest music ever made, but it's enjoyable nonetheless. Doesn't stop me from thoroughly enjoying something independent made for a financial loss - I saw Adam Bohman a few weeks ago, and he was awesome, in an entirely different way to 'I gotta feeling'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|