View Single Post
Old 06.22.2007, 06:21 AM   #10
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn Curtain
Sgt Pepper's is not the best Beatles record by far in my opinion. Rubber soul, The White Album and Abbey road are much better. "She's leaving home" and "A day in the life" are masterpieces however.

You can see how things are building to Pepper's from Rubber Soul thru Revolver and I know that for lots of people, Pepper's is just too divorced from the r'n'b format of before - something they returned to with the The White Album and Let it Be. Abbey Rd acts more as a companion piece to Pepper's. I think that Pepper's gets the acolades over Rubber Soul and (although increasingly not the case) Revolver because despite the line of progression and clear debt to innovations in 'psychedelic' rock taking place elsewhere, no one quite expected it to take the form it did. That's it's generally judged over Abbey Rd I put down to the fact that the former paved the way for the latter.

The White album seems to totally divide Beatles fans though. Personally, I find its sprawl a little too much, having the feel of an outtakes record, albeit scattered with the odd gem.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|