View Single Post
Old 03.08.2016, 07:13 PM   #97
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I really think they're overrated. Puscifer is NOT funny, and brings to mind the most obscenely bad "look at me!" butt metal with its even more irritating take on the Primus "thing" ... Their videos are embarrassing to watch. I imagine they hit home with many a pimple faced Midwestern high school outcast, but hopefully those kids go on to discover Melvins, Rodan, Unwound, and other bands that make every project associated with Tool sound equally bland and sophomoric.

I think there are some interesting musical moments on Aenima, specifically "Jimmy" and "H" ... But I think the interesting things they managed to do were accidents. A Perfect Circle is SO AWFUL. That band sounded like a mashup of Incubus and Creed. And they really pock-marked a NIN show for me back in the day by boring the fuck out of me.

I see them as a relentlessly juvenile band that has squeaked by with some of the more "highbrow" music types by throwing bits and pieces of "artsy" experimentation and references to philosophy into their unbelievably tepid, Luke warm vanilla ass songs.

I don't mean to be a hater here. I've tried to be fair about the OK music they've released and not focus only on the complete and total shit, but I can't do it anymore. If I find myself feeling in the mood to listen to Aenima (which I was quite taken with when it first hit), all I'd have to do is think about the fact that the first song is called fucking "Stinkfist" and the urge would die. Took brings to mind high school boys ... The kind of high school boys who play bloody knuckles and like anything that's obscene. Like that goddamn wrench-penis Tool t-shirt. Ugh. Ughhhhh! So. Goddamn. Unfunny.

Who needs Took when you have Spiderland and Leaves Turn inside You and Rusty? Fuck Tool.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|