Thread: World Music
View Single Post
Old 02.16.2007, 07:32 AM   #180
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Gasper Lawal, Ajomasé & Abio'sunni

http://permanentcondition.blogspot.com/
I’ve been absent from the blogosphere for something like the duration of a comet’s orbit, so today’s post is an effort to make up for lost time. Thus, a pair of records are featured, being the first two solo efforts by expatriate Nigerian drummer Gasper Lawal. Both embody every motive behind my (admittedly sporadic) commitment to this journal:

• Neither album has appeared on CD in the quarter-century since their release. “Kita-Kita,” from Ajomasé, turned up on the epoch-marking Nigeria 70 compilation assembled and released by Afro-Strut, a label whose demise I still lament. The combined running times of Ajomasé and Abio’sunni outdistanced the storage capabilities of the compact disc; it’s doubtful that either title was sufficiently popular to justify re-release in its own right. Fortunately, downloading now renders the timing problem moot.

• Both albums are filled to the brim with great playing and terrifically modern ideas (Lawal, with his 1980 debut Ajomasé, might have formulated the Nigerian response to Bowie’s & Eno’s Low), none of which have dated in the least. Curiously, neither record is mentioned on Gasper Lawal’s page in the All Music Guide.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|