View Single Post
Old 01.06.2009, 01:46 PM   #163
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I go by last.fm personally (which probably represents only 25% of the actual listeners and isn't scientific in the least but is a good representation of how popular a band is):

14,100,812 plays (356,778 listeners)

Sonic Youth's... 18,410,336 plays (638,221 listeners)

Do the (weird) math.

I live in a small ass town and every single one of my friends, with a few exceptions, knows who Animal Collective is (not because of me). People I know in Florida with tastes that don't often stray the least bit outside of popular culture... know who Animal Collective is. One town over, there is a college town which apparently is having an Animal Collective listening party tonight. I gurantee almost that whole town knows who Animal Collective is. In this age of last.fm, youtube, myspace, college and satellite radio, and good old fashioned magazine coverage.... LOTS of people know who Animal Collective is (are?). Just saying.

knowing WHO someone is do3es not mean they like them, or buy their albums, or have ever even listened to a song, plus every fucking poser in the world will namedrop the "it"band of the moment.

does not LastFM play, like pandora, anything that their softw3are deems "similar" to what you ahve already enjoyed? the "plays" of AC mean nothing.