View Single Post
Old 09.22.2010, 02:46 PM   #12
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I have not bought any music in over 6 months.
I have not even gone into the record stores, or looked through the used records bins.
I have not downloaded or checked out any music online in that long too.

I own so many records and 7" singles that I feel bad not paying enough attention to the music I already own instead of getting more more more....

I remember in the early 90's how many bands started releasing anything they could put on tape, instead of calculating what best songs would fit on an album to then push that great collection of songs...Lots of music press people seemed to be concerned that what was happening is that bands were releasing half-assed music creating a generation of half -assed music fans. Others did not seem to care, and appreciate dit as a way to release music that would otherwise be buried on B-sides or compilations, or "discovered" decades later on bootlegs.

I can see both sides.

My main issue with the bulk of what is easily available online is that it is what I term "candy" music. Like candy, it tastes supa delicious upon first listen, then the sweetness wears off, and you notice that it is just one strong flavor. This is not a bad thing but it does not benefit from repeated experience.
I prefer my treats and music to be comprised of many different flavors/notes to be discovered and savored in due time as I live alongside my music.

Has the new technology made it too easy to release a good idea as a song instead of developing a GREAT song based on that good idea?