View Single Post
Old 03.01.2010, 02:07 PM   #69
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I am aware of the sonic differences, the 'imitation' cap was loaded. Honestly though, while I am not against dubstep (after all, 'who is not against you is for you." Jesus) but I am a bit skeptical. To me, its sort of like a white-washed, suburbanite version of dub music, which is totally and even ridiculously unnecessary. Why not get into dub music directly?
Ultimately, what you are implying is that music should not evolve: why not simply go to the very base of it, since every evolution based on it is precisely based on it. Noise rock should have not existed since it mixes elements of noise and rock, and so people should have listened to pure noise or pure rock instead, etc.

Quote:
Further, why adopt many of the cultural/linguistic/style elements of one culture and exploit it for your own subculture's gain? If dubstep scene can use dub terms/phrases/concepts/images why not just go all out and go dub? Further, I hold dubstep to extremely critical standards, just as I do local reggae bands (who generally suck I might add)

as a rastafari, I am especially concerned with those who ignorantly wear rastafari colors/sounds and are know-nothings. If these folks at least accompany their dub step with authentic dub artists, then they will get the full picture in clarity.

that is my two cents
Mixing elements from different cultures has been a very common thing for the past ten years, see the massive african tribal music influence on a lot of Brooklyn bands - though I know most of you think they suck, so I won't name any of them to avoid further trouble on that point. I see it more of an hommage than something else; besides, we're genuinely talking about music and not culture/religion/etc here, so if it works as a music, it's enough for me. Was Trans Jerusalem Express by Lift To Experience a bad album because its christian texts were not said by a priest? I don't think so.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|