View Single Post
Old 06.15.2015, 10:35 AM   #46872
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i don't know that the beatles-evoking ensamble that recorded monomania is even the same band that did the excellent cryptograms-- im not talking about deaths & replacements really, but while deerhunter got a lot of praise around these parts in their earlier days, it's now a lot more easy-listening/dumber band that at times approaches oasis. still good, though not as good---but i won't bitch about it ha ha

Well, yeah there's definitely a big difference between Turn it Up Faggot! or the incredible, immersive, soaring celestial noise of Cryptograms and ... Well, anything that came after. Not just Monomania.

I too had a hefty respect for their early work, and have at times struggled to reconcile post-Cryptograms Deerhunter with the band I initially fell in love with. I actually didn't really like Microcastle as a whole... And I still don't listen to all of it. But it has enough excellent songs to warrant the occasional spin.

I thought they came back in a way with Halcyon Digest, which had a more traditional art-rock feel to it, almost like REM. Monomania sure sounds different but the songs are still tight and occasionally touch on perfection.

I think their transformation from noise to noise-rock to noise-pop to garages jangle has been no more of a shock than the changes Sonic Youth made to their sound between Bad Moon Rising / Evol and, say, Dirty / Experimental Jet Set. And I don't think Sonic Youth ever sounded like Oasis.

And seriously, Oasis? Have you ever even heard Oasis? They'd have to take lessons in irony and subtlety from Jim fucking O'Rourke for years to make an album that wasn't just Butt Rock. I think you're being really hard on Deerhunter with that comparison, brother.
Imagine Oasis making a song where the chorus was crafted around a series of whispered *huffs* into the microphone.... You might as well compare Deerhunter to Kings of Leon. No fair.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|