View Single Post
Old 05.12.2010, 01:45 PM   #145
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alyasa
I have to disagree... Nirvana created a masterpiece of abrasion and aggression on In Utero, managed to look good doing it, and still remained nice guys you could have a cup of coffee with...

Mmm... In Utero is neither that abrasive nor that aggressive. It's pretty MOR, not that that's necessarily a bad thing. I loved this album when I was younger, but having heard the so-called Steve Albini mix, which is supposedly a very far-away cleaned-up version of his mix, I wish they had released that. It actually sounded very abrasive in some parts, and really cool and intriguing in others. And that's not something I can say about any of Nirvana's music, except maybe their really late stuff.

It's way better than Nevermind, though. I mean, I'm not even talking about production or musical "ethics" or indieness and that bullshit, I'm talking about pure and simple songwriting. It's a million times more consistent than Nevermind. The noise songs are more committed to the noise and also more thought out. The ballady songs are more melodic. The ones in the middle like "Heart-Shaped Box'' are also better. Not to mention the lyrics actually having some thought put into them (and we ALL know that was at least partially thanks to you know who's influence, whether we want to admit it or not).

Quote:
unfortunately yes! exactly! but that shouldn't discredit in utero, I mean does the crappy music from the 70s discredit paranoid?

Paranoid really isn't THAT great of an album. You can tell it was rushed out to capitalize on their success or whatever. The first album was much better in every way. Lyrically it was much better and musically I think it was too. Although "Paranoid" is a really good song.

Quote:
contrary to popular belief, i love the production, one of albini's best...besides, the remixing and remastering was just in a couple of songs, not on the whole album.

Listen to the alternate mix and you'll see that that's absolutely not true. Every song on that mix is different in at least some small way. Most of them are very different.

Quote:
anyway, what's sad about in utero is their best song (marigold) was recorded during these sessions.. and it wasn't even on the album.

This is definitely not their best song haha. First of all, it wasn't even a fucking Nirvana song, it was a remixed version of a song on Dave's Pocket Watch thing, and second of all it's a terrible song and the only reason you posted this is to be "edgy"
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|