View Single Post
Old 08.30.2014, 07:10 PM   #10
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I really don't think I agree that the grunge era was necessarily lacking in creativity. Look at the main influences of the most notable bands of that period: Nirvana was this strange amalgum of Sonic Youth, Meat Puppets, Pixies, Melvins & The Ramones. Soundgarden was equally indebted to the Melvins if not more-so, and they had the most convincingly authentic blend of punk and metal of all the Seattle-invasion bands.

Pearl Jam is underrated. I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I genuinely think they had some fucking great moments in their early career. Between Vs and Yield, I saw them several times and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't floored by their energy on stage during those first few years, and impressed by their willingness to be strange in the mid-late '90s. Vitalogy is a weird fucking record, for a 6xplatinum #1 album. And as much as they may have settled into middle of the road status now, it doesn't detract from the fact that they had some really great rock tunes scattered throughout their discography.

I still get chills from songs like “State of Love & Trust” and “Tremor Christ” and “Spin the Black Circle” and “Go”... I could go on.

And their influences weren't the most traditional either. Early PJ was woefully indebted to the worst elements of Jane's Addiction. But once they got their vibe going they were more reminiscent of Neil Young, and clearly they picked up a lot from Sonic Youth and REM.
I also have to hand it to them for their ethic. They were weird and reclusive and I think they genuinely cared less about success than Kurt Cobain ever did.

And Mudhoney is great, fuckin' classic butt-punk. Stoogified Sabbath disciples with a truly "fuck you" spirit.

And honestly, I hate to retread old ground but Nirvana was an extremely creative band. Look at all the influences that a complete listen to their discography yields. They're responsible for many 90s teens getting into bands like Flipper and The Germs, not to mention Leadbelly.

But Alice in Chains sucked. Candlebox sucked. But they were second stringers at best. I have nothing but respect for Nirvana, and the work done by Pearl Jam and Soundgarden (in the '90s) and Mudhoney (throughout their career).

And what about the lesser known Pacific Northwest artists that helped draw attention to the suburban goin on around Seattle and Portland and Bellingham and Eugene and Oly? What about Dead Moon? One of the most undervalued bands of that era (or the one preceding it)... The Wipers? Fucking conceptual punk of Hüsker Dü quality. A flawless discography that put Portland on the map!

The worst thing about grunge was the overexposure. Bands like Nirvana should have never been placed in front of Kurt Loder's microphone.

Oh, shit, and Tad! What about fucking Tad? That mothetfucker is still pumping out albums and projects, and they hold up.

...anyway. Unwound was on the fringes of the movement too, and they're simply one of the greatest bands ever.

Fuck I have to keep my rambling music tirades to more realistic lengths. Perhaps I should employ a stop watch, henceforth.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|