View Single Post
Old 01.11.2017, 11:11 AM   #40
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
A Seat at the Table is definitely the stronger album, but on further inspection I find the sequencing of ASATT to be less than ideal. All those interviews and soundbytes cloud the musicality of the album to me. It has a handful of really great songs (Rise, Cranes in the Sky, Don't Touch my Hair) but it's effect is dulled over time by how demonstrative the whole thing is. Still a very good record, but not Best of 2016 good.

I do think Lemonade sounds pretty shallow in comparison. At first Lemonade sounded and felt like a personal narrative AND a thoughtful exploration and celebration of black womanhood. But then ASATT came out, and it's far more thoughtful, and it's really about black womanhood, and Lemonade sounds insular and almost a bit self-aggrandizing in comparison.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|