View Single Post
Old 02.20.2009, 10:53 AM   #1
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Certain musical styles will never die out. They'll always be there generally, but they evolve, as everything does. However, within every genre fans will view a certain era, scene or approach as being the purest, and greatest exponent of that genre. What then of bands in the year 2009, who deliberately, and often totally unashamedly, attempt to replicate this? They will always have an audience, albeit a largely ageing one. This applies to so many different genres I don't want to be specific - goth, hip-hop, punk and it's various styles. But I'm interested in what people think about these bands, is it harmless nostalgia, if they're happy to play it and people are happy to listen to it, why fuss about it? Or, does it signal regression in music and the miserable death of originality?
(We can discuss various examples people want to name, but I think this discussion should rest more on the 'wider' picture.)

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|