View Single Post
Old 09.03.2018, 06:59 PM   #277
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkcip
compared to albums like Chance of Rain, Dust, and Quarantine, it feels kinda slight. The percussive / piano bits with Eli Keszler are interesting - but there's not much here that really sticks. I'd love to hear others' thoughts on it, other than single-adjective exclamations

OK, OK... "Nut" ain't that bad, though. From Wikipedia: "People who eat nuts regularly have better health outcomes. This includes reduced rates of coronary heart disease (CHD), cancer, stroke, heart attacks, and lower chances of death". Lower chances of death, that's my favorite — bigger chances of not dying, ever?

I don't think Raw Silk Uncut Wood is slight, even compared to Laurel Halo's previous work (and perhaps the only one of her records to which we could formally compare it is Antenna). Plus, "ambient", ever since Music For Airports (or Discreet Music, if you prefer to locate the genre's hushed big-bang on the latter) has always had that element of "did the artist intend to make this shit unengaging?" So I'm gonna take an irrational impressionistic leap here and just say that in RSUW's case it's the sheer beauty of it that captured me, especially considering it's a kind of beauty Halo hadn't quite produced before, something that makes me feel she continues to grow artistically.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|