View Single Post
Old 06.29.2007, 12:38 PM   #29
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
I happen to find idiocy (the lack of normal development of intellectual capacities) disgusting, Glice. Especially when that idiocy is from apparent laziness of mind. Why do you think there are so many problems in this world? (Is) the tooth fairy (to blame)?

And please, let's not confuse "idiocy" with Dostoevsky's The Idiot. The idiocy I'm referring to is quasi-literateness. In the novel, Prince Myshkin is an "idiot" because he lacks the development of "normal" social graces. In other words, he's deemed an idiot because he's not like the herd. He's deeply empathetic, but he can only tell the truth about how he feels.

I don't see why anyone would confuse the word 'idiocy' with the book 'The Idiot' unless they felt compelled to mention that they like Dostoevsky at every single oppurtunity they get. It's fine, we all have our peccadilloes - me as much as anyone.

And for every parallel with D, there's an old parable about knowing thy enemy or choosing your battles. It is not that I do not deplore idiocy - it is that I deplore sanctimony and unecessary provocation.

It's a shame, I do share a disdain for a certain laziness, and I would rather that everyone could write articulately. However, in the real world I can do something about that. This is a messageboard, where bored people come to be bored. I'm pretty certain that any number of intelligent things I have to say would not be read or absorbed by the masses of Sonic Youth fans. You are a very petty man, but you're also infrequently sharp. Lay off the grass and you might actually be able to have a decent discussion without flying into paranoid flights of fancy with people represented by words on a page somewhere on the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|