View Single Post
Old 09.13.2014, 12:13 PM   #19
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I used to be one of those really devout S-K show goers. The kind who would correct strangers who I'd overhear mispronouncing Corin's name.

(Actually, I used to larf my fucking ass off at those snooty little taints; there were MANY of them, and they would actually get angry, as though someone was having sex on the grave of their grandmother... I could never let that kind of unabashed humorlessness go un-ridiculed)

But I was a major Sleater-Kinney fan. Too major. Too close. I ended up completely overdoing their music, and their live shows became about as exciting as a trip to the can.

One Beat was the last album I really went nuts over. I don't even remember what half the songs on it actually sound like at this point. But The Woods did kind of eclipse it from memory, once I got the groove of the album down.
So, I guess I'm happy for you guys. It's great that you're all so excited. But I own these LP's, and cd's... I feel no need to own them some more for a bunch of money.

Now, I DO wish the Número Group's Unwound boxes were available on CD. I bought Kid is Gone on LP, and picked up the CD promo 13-song sampler, as well as the RSD bonus release... But I haven't been able to bring myself to throw down for Rat Conspiracy, though I'm sure I will.

The Woods is an interesting topic. I was disappointed by it at the time, but now it feels like the best record to go out on. It hinted at entirely new levels of sonic insanity for the band. It sounds out of place in their catalogue, and makes one wonder what would have followed it had they stayed together. But shit-- that's what all the best final albums do, isn't it? Make you beg for more while putting an irrefutable period at the end of their story.

My fave is Dig Me Out, for its post-punk (almost no-wavey) greusome death stomp. Then Call the Doc, Woods, Hot Rock & One Beat. For what it's worth. S/t and bad one are records for a specific kind of mood that I haven't been in for a very very long time.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|