View Single Post
Old 04.21.2011, 02:30 AM   #29
easyrazors
little trouble girl

easyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think it has to be an either/or thing. MP3s are convenient, but I like having vinyl as well. Perhaps the days of small being better are over... pretty much everything before 1990 or so was designed to be played on vinyl, so if you want to hear things as they were heard at the time, vinyl is the way to go. Current recordings on vinyl do have collector/elitist appeal, and there is something nice about the look and feel of the complete package. Personally, I love 7 inch records... since 1955 and Elvis, every band has wanted to make a record - I've never heard anyone say "yeah, we want to make an MP3", hehe. The whole package helps people to think about music as something more than disposable and transient, and I don't think that's a bad thing. I also look forward to buying my letterpress bible once the publishing market has temporarily collapsed due to digital alternatives. I might even make a documentary about it on Super-8 cine film.
This thread reminded me of the sleeve notes for one of the Big Black albums, can't remember which... "The future belongs to the analogue loyalists. Fuck digital".
easyrazors is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|