View Single Post
Old 12.20.2007, 03:52 PM   #22
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Some thoughts on every SCG recording I've heard...

Self-Titled is all over the place, but it's got some great songs. Grotto of Miracles has a lot of weird noisey bits but it's smooshed in between bouts of brilliant musicianship. The drummer of this band (R.I.P) has such a great tone. Really crisp. And the guitar player (aka the amazing Sir Richard Bishop) really doesn't get the respect he deserves. Horse Cock Phepner is a masterpiece, it's probably their best record, it's just all over the place and epitomizes the SCG aesthetic. Amazing -- and hilarious! Torch of the Mystics is wonderful too, the recording quality isn't the best, but how can anyone deny "Blue Mamba", one of the best songs I've ever heard? Three Fake Female Orgasms is indeed a very underrated record with Mystics-era songs. Valentines from the Matahari is a bit too jammy and all over the place, not my thing really. Just boring. Juggernaut is more of that kinda stuff. Dante's Disneyland Inferno is a two disc set of spoken word tracks that's just fucking genius. Not something you'll want to listen to often, but it's great for what it is. 330,000 Crossdressers is another just brilliant work, almost seems to update the Horse Cock Phepner aesthetic.. it goes all over the place, but the first disc is their best material to date. Disc two is good if you have enough drugs. I've heard a few of the Carnival Folklore Ressurection series, it's.. nice. I dunno. A bit too much fake jazzy stuff, but it's got its moments. Wah is terrible. Fresh Kill is really good, though a bit long.

And that's all the SCG I have so far. I love 'em. I have all the Richard Bishop stuff. It's some of the best "Solo guitar only" stuff you could ever hope to hear. His live album "staged" is amazing!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|