View Single Post
Old 06.11.2012, 06:34 PM   #15854
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I was in Kings Cross recently and it's progressively being turned into John Carpenter's worst nightmare. I like the interiors of The Guardian's building, which contain a pretty sweet auditorium and art gallery, but you're right, no respectable low-life would hang around in that area now. Plus, I got this feeling that parts of the scenery have been bitten off by an enormous entrepreneurial mouth.

I tend to think that big train stations in major cities have a duty to be as seedy as possible. They should always make anyone who's just arrived feel a bit apprehensive about what they're in for. Same as I think every major shopping area should have its little crowd of junkies, like the ones that used to hang around all day outside the Astoria or opposite, on the stairs going down to TCR station. They've gone now, too. I remember being particularly impressed by the quantity and quality of low life at the main station in Frankfurt a few years ago, and I always hear good things about the station at Naples, too. I've never been but Naples in general strikes me as a European city that really knows how to do seediness properly. Someone should do a series of guide books that concentrates on those kinds of factors, just for me.

Quote:
I re-watched Gary Oldman’s ‘’Nil by Mouth’’ in honour of your earlier mention of it on this thread. This movie is a perennial 10/10 movie for me and it gets better with every watch.

Yeah, I sort of take Nil By Mouth film for granted now but it really is an astonishing piece of work. It's a different kind of seediness, though. More gritty and certainly less romantic than a film like Accattone. Although that might be because I've more experience of contemporary London than I have of 60s Rome. Nil By Mouth disturbs me in a way that few films ever have.

Quote:
When you hear clueless bloke after clueless bloke proclaiming [Tarantino] the biggest thing that happened to cinema for the umpteenth time though, that’s when you wish he didn’t get the sort of recognition and success he normally gets.

Do people still think about him like that? I remember people talking in those terms around the time of Pulp Fiction but I tend to find mentioning his name nowadays is more likely to generate rolled eyes and dismissive sighs than anything else, even among those (like myself) who quite liked his earlier films.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|