Thread: Effects
View Single Post
Old 01.23.2007, 10:32 PM   #353
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
On the MXR Phase 90, first off i need to correct myself as i've done this mod a year ago... i actually have the Block Logo new reissue Phase 90 (whom i bought from Naomi on this board...), and its a resistor modification (not a capacitor) removing or disconnecting the R28 feedback resistor (24k). It makes it sound abit more like the older original "script model" (but still not the same!!!) by eliminating the distorted mid-boost when engaging the effect. It is easy to do, the hardest part is removing the board from the unit compartment, the resistor is in the upper corner and should be marked (as R28 on the board), making it easier to identify... just clip one of the leads to the resistor with tiny scissors, or you can get creative and add a small switch to alternate from the original tone to the modded one. I've just learned of several more modifications that can be done to the "Block Logo" models where capicators may be removed or interchanged w/ different values to filter noise, or give unity gain when the effect is engaged (because there is a slight yet noticable boost), and also the trimpot can be adjusted, here is the link:

http://diy.erikhansen.net/phase90.htm

w/ the mod this is a great phaser i think, as a factory unit i thought it was ok... However i must say that I had TWO vintage late 60's early 70's Maestro phase shifters (a PS-1A and PS-1B) both were killer sounding units the best phase sound i ever heard but they were huge dinosaurs to have in my setup and i didn't have the footswitch that would go with these either making it a complex issue to activate the toggles with my feet, so i sold them, for some decent money.
Thanks man, I'm probably gonna mod mine too. Seems pretty easy like the Blue Box.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|