Thread: Big up y'self
View Single Post
Old 05.02.2008, 12:51 PM   #42
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker
Oh come on! Have a sense of humour for fucks sake! And anyway if you have no self importance that is just lacking confidence/lacking self respect/being insecure/self hating and having no individuality. Having no self importance is doing nothing for yourself. How is self importance the beginning of the process of death? I thought you liked Buddhism? Buddhism's aim is to destroy the individual by extinguishing the desires, the opposite of self importance, now that is surely death.

How many people actually are so self important that they think they are the most important thing in the world? Not many I should think, only some mentally ill people.

Do you have a personal history or are you a blank slate with no personality? When you meet people you once knew, family members for example, do you greet them with no emotion and no recognition?

You don't site your source of the quote. Who are you quoting? Yourself?

you have read that entirely backwards, so please allow me to interpret its meaning for you. Self-importance is the backwards, selfish, false sense of confidence and security that people create in their egocentric perception of the world, a me against them kind of mindstate. This is not a positive nor successful way to live. A proper way is to slowly and systematically remove your own sense of egocentricism and self-importance, and understand the universal interconnectedness of all things, and therefore find your proper place in the scheme of things. Once you find the proper flow of your surroundings, you will achieve much more success then if you just stomp around undisciplined. In fact it takes much more discipline and self-control to remove self-importance.

from the Bhagavad Gita

"The ego makes us to believe that we are the doers of our actions and are also responsible for our actions. It makes us perform our actions out of desire for the fruit of our actions. In the process, it binds us to the mortal life. All actions are performs by the properties of nature, but the egoistic ignorant self believes he is the doer.[3.27]
Escape from this mortal existence is only possible when the yogi overcomes his egoistic thinking and develops a divine centered life. The qualified karma yogi, who is pure in his heart, who has controlled his mind and his senses overcomes egoistic thinking and limitied vision." [5.2]

From the Gospel of Luke, the Words of Jesus Christ:

23Then he said to them all: "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. 24For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it. 25What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self? 26If anyone is ashamed of me and my words, the Son of Man will be ashamed of him when he comes in his glory and in the glory of the Father and of the holy angels. 27I tell you the truth, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the kingdom of God."

which is explained in another parable which explains that, "when you are young you go where you please, but when you are old and feeble you will reach out your hand for another to guide you." which is to be explained by the above Icon, that is, when you die, there is no one else but the Divine which can carry you out of Death. Live forever, deny your self-importance, eternal life means no beginning nor end, deny your personal history as well [and Jesus said, "who is my mother and who are my brothers?"]. Is it really as crazy as the alternative world which we've created with death and destruction behind every corner?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|