View Single Post
Old 04.29.2014, 07:20 AM   #60
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses

Patten's Estoile Naiant is an EXPLOSIVE record. It's not ultra heavy, the beats don't resonate like shotgun blasts, but something about it makes it sound violent as hell when it's not melding Flying Saucer Attack-style dreampop drones with the schizophrenic found sound attacks of FlyLo and madlib.

Musically it references Depeche Mode, Ministry, Portishead, MBV, Massive Attack, and Botany, but it comes out sounding like it's own thing. Grit sprinkled over glimmer. I fucking love it.

I actually wrote a review of the album completely on the fly during my first listen, but I wrote so much that I had to switch over to iPhone voice memo during my drive to and from an appointment. It's a completely impromptu review, and I think I'm going to submit it somewhere, because it's probably the best I've ever written/spoken. I don't intend to change a word, except for correcting the few transcription errors that will just sound like nonsense sentences if I don't.

Anyway, this is definitely one of my two favorite electronic albums of the year, with the other being BLACK LIGHT SPIRAL by UNTOLD.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|