View Single Post
Old 06.22.2010, 03:45 PM   #14
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think he's anything like Godard. And I've seen every single film by both directors. Godard films have lots of dialogue, but his films are about tearing apart cinematic conventions usually... in that sense, if you want an "American Godard", check out Jon Jost.

I think Cassavetes is more like a less political, Fassbinder (like WHY DOES R HERR RUN AMOK or BERLIN ALEXANDERPLATZ era). They both have a very sparse but effective cinematography, not too concerned with art but able to pull off some interesting camera movements and strange subtle surrealism and humor; both focus on characters of society not usually focused on in movies, and both directors like to ramble and have lots of dark undertones.

I do love me some Cassavete though. First few films aren't anything too special imo but after a while he just became unstoppable. My rankings of Cassavetes' films!:

Shadows: 4/10
Too Late Blues: 5/10
A Child is Waiting: 5/10
Faces: 9/10
Husbands: 8/10
Minnie and Moskowitz: 8/10
Woman Under the Influence: 8/10
Killing of a Chinese Bookie: 10/10 (in my top 50 of all time)
Opening Night: 8/10
Gloria: 6/10
Love Streams: 9/10

...actually, I haven't seen Big Trouble.
atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|